In this episode we look at the Mound Builder Myth in some detail. We discuss the history of the myth, the alternative explanations for the mounds, how Cyrus Thomas proved the mounds were built by Native Americans, and why the idea that the mounds were built by Europeans still persists today. Also, we highly encourage you to take your local mounds to lunch, and, go visit them today!
Things we discussed in Episode 4:
- Cyrus Thomas with the Smithsonian
- Newark Holy Stones
- Bat Creek Stone
- Los Lunas Decalogue Stone
- Ezra Stiles from Yale University
- Other Peoples Garbage – Odyssey Series Documentary
- Prince Madoc
- Related Episode 3 where we discuss the “Lost Civilizations North America” film.
Places to Go See!
- Serpent Mound in Ohio
- Hopewell Culture Sites in Ohio
- Cahokia Mounds in Illinois
- Angel Mounds in Indiana
- Poverty Point Mounds in Louisiana
- Ken’s Awesome Books on these topics
Email us at ArchyFantasties@gmail.com
Follow us on Twitter at @Archyfantsies and find us on FaceBook.
Theme Music by ArcheopSoup Productions